Since it‚Äôs launch just over a year ago, CoPilot Live v8 has been a popular choice for Android smartphone users looking for an on-board GPS navigation solution.¬† As we talked about last week, unlike off-board navigation apps like Google Maps Navigation, there‚Äôs no need to rely on your mobile service for navigation¬†or risk¬†running-up a huge¬†cell phone¬†bill if you use CoPilot Live while traveling.¬† This week’s tip is great¬†for anyone who has just purchased CoPilot Live for their Android-powered smartphone.¬† It’s also a good read for current users who are looking to reduce the amount of¬†memory CoPilot Live uses to store all your maps directly on-board¬†your phone.¬†
Whether purchased from Android Market or from the CoPilot Live webstore, installing CoPilot Live on an Android phone is a two stage process. First you need to install the application on the phone, then download the maps to a memory card for use in your phone.
Note: if you purchased CoPilot Live on a pre-loaded memory card from a reseller, then you will not need to download the maps.
Step 1)¬† Install the application on your phone
- If you have purchased CoPilot Live from Android Market, the application should download and install automatically onto the phone.
- If you purchased CoPilot Live from the CoPilot Live online store or from a reseller, you will need to download and install the application by going to www.copilotlive.com/androidinstall¬†using your phone‚Äôs internet browser.
Step 2)¬† Download maps to a memory card using WiFi
- Once you have successfully installed CoPilot Live, connect your phone to WiFi then start CoPilot Live.
- After completing activation of the software, you will be prompted to download maps. If you are not prompted to do this then press Menu > Get Maps
- Now choose the map area you wish to download. The areas you are licensed to download are highlighted in blue.
- You can download¬†just the map area you need or an entire region. You can also return and download additional maps¬†at a later time as and when¬†required.
- Once you have downloaded the maps to your memory card they will remain stored on the card, so they‚Äôll always be available for you, mobile coverage or not, just like a dedicated navigation system.
Choose how much or how little memory you need with multiple map options
If you purchased the CoPilot Live North America¬†Android¬†app, you can download as little or as much of the North America road network as you wish.¬† You can download all of North America¬†for seamless guidance througout USA or Canada, or simply download the individual states, cities or regions you need.¬† Each state, city or region will display the amount of memory needed for download.¬† (see screenshot) This allows you to control how much¬†memory CoPilot Live takes up on your phone.¬† You can also remove and redownload maps as needed.
And please remember if you have any other questions about CoPilot Live, you can ask us here.¬† Your questions, usually turn into our tips and tricks.¬†¬†If you’re wondering how to do something then other CoPilot Live users¬†probably are¬†too!