Since it’s launch just over a year ago, CoPilot Live v8 has been a popular choice for Android smartphone users looking for an on-board GPS navigation solution. As we talked about last week, unlike off-board navigation apps like Google Maps Navigation, there’s no need to rely on your mobile service for navigation or risk running-up a huge cell phone bill if you use CoPilot Live while traveling. This week’s tip is great for anyone who has just purchased CoPilot Live for their Android-powered smartphone. It’s also a good read for current users who are looking to reduce the amount of memory CoPilot Live uses to store all your maps directly on-board your phone.
Whether purchased from Android Market or from the CoPilot Live webstore, installing CoPilot Live on an Android phone is a two stage process. First you need to install the application on the phone, then download the maps to a memory card for use in your phone.
Note: if you purchased CoPilot Live on a pre-loaded memory card from a reseller, then you will not need to download the maps.
Step 1) Install the application on your phone
- If you have purchased CoPilot Live from Android Market, the application should download and install automatically onto the phone.
- If you purchased CoPilot Live from the CoPilot Live online store or from a reseller, you will need to download and install the application by going to www.copilotlive.com/androidinstall using your phone’s internet browser.
Step 2) Download maps to a memory card using WiFi
- Once you have successfully installed CoPilot Live, connect your phone to WiFi then start CoPilot Live.
- After completing activation of the software, you will be prompted to download maps. If you are not prompted to do this then press Menu > Get Maps
- Now choose the map area you wish to download. The areas you are licensed to download are highlighted in blue.
- You can download just the map area you need or an entire region. You can also return and download additional maps at a later time as and when required.
- Once you have downloaded the maps to your memory card they will remain stored on the card, so they’ll always be available for you, mobile coverage or not, just like a dedicated navigation system.
Choose how much or how little memory you need with multiple map options
If you purchased the CoPilot Live North America Android app, you can download as little or as much of the North America road network as you wish. You can download all of North America for seamless guidance througout USA or Canada, or simply download the individual states, cities or regions you need. Each state, city or region will display the amount of memory needed for download. (see screenshot) This allows you to control how much memory CoPilot Live takes up on your phone. You can also remove and redownload maps as needed.
And please remember if you have any other questions about CoPilot Live, you can ask us here. Your questions, usually turn into our tips and tricks. If you’re wondering how to do something then other CoPilot Live users probably are too!