Some great news this week for iPhone owners: Apple has now released iOS 4—the new version of Apple’s mobile operating system— as a free update through iTunes. The new operating system brings a number of important improvements and enhancements.
For us here at CoPilot Live, we are particularly excited about the new multitasking functionality for switching between applications and Background Location that will allow Copilot Live to provide continuous guidance while you’re on a phone call or using other apps.
What does this mean for your CoPilot Live app?
If you upgrade your phone to iOS 4, your CoPilot Live app will run as normal with the new operating system, although please note it does not currently support multitasking. We will however be releasing a new update soon which will take full advantage of the new features.
Here’s a preview of what’s coming with the update:
Continuous turn-by-turn navigation during phone calls
- CoPilot Live will continue to run during a phone call and provide turn instructions as Push Notification messages
- You will have the option to switch back to the full map display with one touch
- Voice directions will be muted during the call to avoid confusion or distraction
Background Voice Navigation while using other apps
- CoPilot Live will continue to provide full voice guidance while you are using other apps
- You will have the option to switch back to the full map display by double-tapping the Home button
Want a preview of CoPilot Live’s iOS 4 features? Check out our Flickr gallery here:
Stay tuned as the new update will be available through the app store soon. It will also bring support for the iPhone 4 Retina Display
In the meantime you can continue to enjoy navigating with you CoPilot Live as usual, although please note that the current version does not support multitasking.