So, apparently there’s a wedding going on in central London this Friday. An estimated 2 billion people are expected to watch the royal celebrations on TV, and several million are expected to line the route from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace.
If you are planning to head into London by car to join the festivities we’d recommend planning ahead. Almost all of the roads in Westminster are going to be closed, so driving around the city centre is out of the question, and finding somewhere to park nearby almost impossible.
So we’ve pulled together 5 places to park outside of the immediate area, where we reckon you’ll be able to find a space with ease yet still be able to head straight to the thick of the “action” on public transport.
- St George Wharf (Vauxhall Station, Victoria Line – 10 minutes to Green Park). On the edge of the road closure zone, it’s a hidden car park under the huge St George Wharf development. Conveniently right next to Vauxhall tube station
- Ealing Broadway (Ealing Broadway Station, Central and District Lines – 20 minutes to Westminster ). Easily accessible from the A4/M4, there’s usually plenty of parking spaces available and the District Line takes you straight to the Abbey.
- Cockfosters (Piccadilly Line and 5 minutes from the M25 – 25 minutes to Green Park). 5 minutes from the M25, the Piccadilly line goes straight to Green Park or Hyde Park Corner
- Ebbsfleet International (15 minutes into St Pancras on the High Speed rail link). Probably the best option for those heading to London from Kent, park at Ebbsfleet and take the train straight into St Pancras. The Victoria line takes you by tube into Green Park.
Central London/The City
- Bloomsbury Square (Holborn Station, Piccadilly Line). ALK’s local car park, the underground car park in Bloomsbury Square is not particularly well known or visible, but has plenty of spaces. You can head straight to Green Park or Hyde Park Corner on the tube.
Think you know better? Do you have a “secret” parking place that you use when visiting London? Let us know in the comments. We’ll award a copy of CoPilot Live to our favourite suggestion.